WordPress Insights #1
What They Don’t Tell You About WordPress
WordPress is billed as the website Content Management System (CMS) that can be installed and run without any technical knowledge.
This is true to an extent.
Sooner or later you may hit a situation where you:
- Need support for upgrades to WordPress versions or plugins
- Fixes for WordPress sites; technical or compatibility issues, functionality problems
What needs to be borne in mind is:
- the web is developing and changing all the same and as it does so, individual WordPress website elements may be required to change with it. This means occasionally (sometimes more frequently) implementing updates to software versions, plugins, site extensions etc
- running a WordPress site is not without risk. WordPress has massive usage across the web, but this has the unfortunate side effect of making it a common target for hackers attempting to exploit website weak points
We can provide support for the above, plus rectify any issues you may be experiencing.
WordPress Security Services
A WordPress website is a great way to manage your own website content or perhaps sell online. However there are things you must be aware of:
- your site is (unfortunately) a target for hackers
- your data, plus that of your customers, could be at risk
- your website could be used to send spam email or hold malicious content
The good news is that there are protocols you can follow to protect and secure your website:
- correct installation and set-up
- reliable and trustworthy hosting
- keep WordPress version up to date
- keep plugins up to date
- WordPress threat defences should be installed to monitor and repel intruders and block malicious traffic
Regular web site files, database and site data backups should be taken and stored securely; an insurance policy to protect against any future technical or security incidents
Versions of WordPress, plugins and other site components should, as good practice, be updated regularly.
For performance, compatibility and security reasons all these elements are regularly updated by their respective producers. They then need to be updated within you site. It is advisable to do this with some technical insight otherwise efficient website operation could be affected; especially with older WordPress site builds.